POSITION TITLE: Accounting Manager
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
PRINCIPLE FUNCTION: Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), this position is responsible for the full cycle operational accounting and management reporting for the organization
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervising a staff of two, the Accounting Manager’s basic responsibilities include:
• Oversight and management of month-end close process
• Prepare monthly reconciliations for all balance sheet accounts
• Prepare and distribute monthly management reporting for departments, projects and events with emphasis on variance reporting
• Assist the CFO with developing annual department budgets and forecasts
• Ensure proper revenue and expense recording according to GAAP and Garden policy
• Complete weekly reporting and analytics examining operating metrics
• Coordinating and reviewing journal entries
• Assist the CFO with the annual independent audit and annual tax filing (IRS990)
• Supervise 2 FTEs supporting accounts payable function and revenue recognition functions
• Serve as accounting system (Financial Edge) liaison between IT and other departments
• Supervise daily cash and treasury management functions supporting Visitor Services, Events and other cash related activities/needs
• Responsible for ensuring staff processes bi-weekly payroll correctly
• Ad-hoc and other reporting activities as they arise, not limited to items above
STATUS AND SCOPE: This exempt position supervises a current staff of 2 FTEs. The Accounting Manager role requires frequent interaction with Garden personnel at all levels which includes educating and clarifying important Garden policies and procedures relating to the accounting function. This position will be exposed to confidential information and is responsible for maintaining that confidentiality. To maintain the Garden’s reputation and success, 100% accuracy is critical as well as the ability to articulate operational results, complex ideas in simple/clear language and presentations.
Accounting Principles: Strong knowledge and the ability to apply U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as they relate to non-profit organizations
Transaction Knowledge: Ability to understand complex business transactions (e.g., accruals, prepaid expenses, accounts payable, accounts receivable etc.) and their corresponding accounting treatment
Attention to Detail: Ability to accomplish tasks in a timely and accurate manner as well as completing detailed review of the output of team members
Financial Analysis: Ability to prepare, analyze and report financial data creating thoughtful and efficient spreadsheets/reporting tools, explaining variances, identifying issues and making recommendations as appropriate
Control Environment: Ability to assess current controls to ensure that assets are safeguarded and that transactions are authorized, recorded, and reported.
Develops and Inspires Others: Create a positive team atmosphere that builds and maintains relationships across the Garden. Motivate, guide, and/or support the performance of others toward goal accomplishments. Develops self and others to improve performance in current role and to prepare for future roles; seeks and provides feedback and coaching to enhance performance.
Communicating Effectively: Conveying information and ideas in a clear, respectful, and timely manner; providing information to ensure understanding; solicits input from the audience during the communication.
Reconciliation: Ability to compare data from various data sources and identify inconsistencies or variances, and correct errors.
Customer Focus: Making customers (external and internal) and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships; creating and executing plans and solutions in collaboration with the customer.
Contributing to Team Success: Actively participating as a committed member of a team and working with other team members to help complete goals and deliverables.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
• 5+ years of progressive responsibility in an accounting function
• 2+ years of audit experience
• Power User of Microsoft Excel
• Demonstrated aptitude in learning and maneuvering accounting systems
• Understanding of GAAP and practical application of the principles
• Excellent Written and Verbal Communication Skills
• Experience with Blackbaud a plus (Financial Edge)
• Supervisory experience a plus
Position requires long period of sitting, occasional walking and standing. Work requires heavy computer use. Lifting of heavy change containers may be necessary.
Accuracy in all aspects of work is critical for this position. Attention to detail while doing somewhat repetitive work is required.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.
Email Resume to Susan Boulware at email@example.com