POSITION TITLE: Conservation Horticulturist
REPORTS TO: Manager of Conservation Horticulture
DATE: April 4, 2018
This position reports directly to the Manager of Conservation Horticulture. The selected candidate will be responsible for the daily maintenance and grounds management of the Conservation and Safeguarding Nursery at our Gainesville, GA garden location. This position is based full-time in Gainesville, GA but will also require some travel to and from field sites and Atlanta Botanical Garden in Midtown Atlanta.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Conservation Collections Maintenance –Watering; weeding; pruning; planting and other daily horticultural tasks required at our 3+ acre conservation and safeguarding nursery in Gainesville, GA.
Collections Management and Plant Curation– Will be required to have or develop knowledge of collection management including plant accessioning and labeling.
Collection Development & Fieldwork – Work closely with Research and Conservation Department to conduct delegated field work. This may include seed collection trips; plant population mapping; brush clearing and the reintroduction of plants back into the wild habitat. Field work may occasionally require periods away from home and is often physically demanding work.
- Horticultural flexibility- Weekend and holiday work may be required during the growing season to assure health of plant collections.
- B.S. in Horticulture, Plant Biology, or related field required.
- Botanical Horticulture, experience working in a Botanical Garden
- Collections Management – Experience in data management including labeling and GIS mapping.
- Plant Health – Sound knowledge in the identification and management of plant health issues including management of pests, diseases and plant nutrition
- Plant Knowledge – A good working knowledge of rare plants native to the S.E. USA.
- Ecology – A knowledge/interest in native wetlands and their ecology.
- Must be able to work in hot or cold conditions (outside and inside) for reasonable lengths of time.
- Must have a valid Georgia driver’s license and good driving record.
- Must be willing to drive between Atlanta and Gainesville 2-3 times per month.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.
Email Resume to Susan Boulware at email@example.com