Exhibitions Project Manager
POSITION TITLE: Exhibitions Project Manager
Revision Date: 06/19/2017
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
Assist the Executive team in the research and procurement of exhibits and fine art displays for the Atlanta Botanical Garden and Atlanta Botanical Garden Gainesville. Plan and manage internal and external exhibition teams with all activities pertaining to the installation and dismantling of exhibits. These exhibits include but are not limited to fine art shows (interior gallery and exterior large-scale sculpture), horticultural shows, Garden Nights/Holiday Lights and themed attractions such as Scarecrows in the Garden.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Proactively project manage all aspects of exhibits, including plan the process for all installations, develop installation timelines, project budgets, arrange for and schedule all vendor activity, order necessary materials. Sources talent, equipment, materials, transportation. Assesses artwork in one setting and recognizes the requirements for transporting and installing selected pieces in another environment. Researches and documents infrastructure needs as well as other required resources for a successful installation.
- Ability to successfully negotiate contracts with vendors and follow garden policies for procurement of vendors, exhibitors or staffing.
- Provide timely, accurate and precise project reports to Chief Operating Officer.
- Work with the internal and external exhibition team to Project Manage the installation process as well as document the installation and removal processes.
- Work with the internal and external exhibition team to manage all vendor activity associated with the installation and removal of exhibitions. Manages within financial and time constraints as laid out in plan.
- Uses skills, an eye for aesthetic quality, understanding of the Atlanta Botanical Garden expectations as well as artist and landscape designer vision to assess the installation as it is happening and make corrections as necessary.
- Develops lasting work relationships with art handlers, installation companies, logistics providers, heavy equipment vendors, and other suppliers and contractors to source and insure necessary resources are in place for a variety of installation needs. Assist both internal and external team to assess which vendor is best for the requirements of the project.
- Develops scope of work statements for vendors use in the quoting process. Must understand the needs of the installation in order to partner with the correct vendors.
- Plans, communicates, and works with other departments in the garden to create a successful installation process as well as plans events to introduce the exhibits and artists to the public.
- May be required to work nights and or weekends and holidays to support a specific exhibition.
- Prepares project reports, conducts information meetings for staff and vendors.
- Collaborates with a designated team to source and evaluate art and themes for future exhibitions.
- Performs other duties as required to support the overall mission and vision of the Atlanta Botanical Garden.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.
STATUS AND SCOPE:
Exhibitions are a critical part of the Gardens revenue generation process. ABG has developed a strong reputation for putting on high quality exhibitions. The expectations of our members and the public garden community is for top notch shows. Proactively project manage all seasonal and special exhibits, including the handling of fine art requiring knowledge of art handling, as well as being a good steward of multi-million dollar budgets on some shows.
- Proven self starter, with strong management experience within the execution of exterior and interior exhibits, requiring minimal supervision with the ability to anticipate upcoming needs, define potential problems and address before issues arise.
- The successful candidate will have a keen eye for aesthetics, possess excellent managerial and communication skills, and be extremely detail oriented.
- Background shall include at least 7 years of related experience in installation, project management, art installation or other related fields.
- Ability to interpret ideas and sketch designs for financial, installation timelines, materials, logistics, etc.
- Ability to develop, manage and work through cost estimates on new projects.
- Must be able to manage tight timelines or challenging situations with a positive outlook.
- Must be able to execute one project while planning the next few.
- Strong preference for someone with the ability to read prints and schematics as well as communicate in technical construction and heavy equipment installation terms.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office as well as the skills to document processes, inventories, and resources used for each project.
- Preferred applicants will have intermediate knowledge of display design, and basic familiarity with plants.
- Only those applicants demonstrating successful planning and execution of projects while working with internal resources and staff will be considered.
- Strong initiative, curiosity, and commitment to success are qualities that are essential.
- Position requires long periods of standing, walking, and sitting depending on the tasks at hand.
- Exposure to all types of weather may be necessary during installations and shows.
Excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to effectively respond to multiple, changing and often conflicting priorities is essential. It is critical that this position be a self-starter with the ability to evaluate and see what will be needed in new situations in order to meet timelines and financial goals. Must be able to effectively interact with the general public, co-workers and peer professionals.