A Day for Gardeners
Visiting the Garden throughout the year can provide inspiration and information for home gardeners. Below is a list of techniques and plants to see during each beautiful season in the Garden. To learn more about certain topics, check the Garden website class listing for upcoming educational opportunities.
- Explore the fabulous pansy and tulip displays
- Discover the Southern Seasons Garden coming to life with early blooming flowers.
- Observe how to stake perennials.
- Learn how to prepare soil as Garden horticulturists prepare beds and plant summer annuals and perennials.
- Learn how to re-pot aquatic plants as Garden horticulturists divide and re-pot water lilies.
- Get ideas for stunning annual combinations for containers.
- Find new varieties of summer vegetables and edible flowers suitable for the Southeast in the Edible Garden.
- Find some new summer bulbs to add to perennial borders.
- Explore more than 120 cultivars of hydrangeas through the Southern Seasons Garden.
- Find a new plant to add to a butterfly garden by watching the many butterflies.
- Get ideas for late season perennials to add to a garden Perennial Border.
- Find a new shrub with fabulous fruits to attract wildlife.
- See what vegetables can be planted in fall in the Edible Garden.
- Watch the horticulture staff “put the garden to bed for the winter” and observe how they clean up perennial borders.
- Enjoy the Levy Parterre filled with colorful winter annuals and the Winter Garden.
- Observe the horticulturists topdressing the Garden, which organically improves soil quality.
- Look for how deciduous shrubs and trees are pruned during the cooler winter months.
- Observe the “bare bones” of the Garden and get landscape design ideas for pathway flow, directing views and evergreens to provide structure in a garden.