Visit with Kids
Below is a list of Garden destinations for kids. Encourage kids to be active investigators by looking for wildlife, smelling herbs and flowers and counting flower petals. Be amazed at the bees and butterflies fluttering around and don’t be surprised to find other garden wildlife like squirrels, birds, ladybugs and beetles. Before your visit, check the Kids Events & Classes calendar for any Drop-In Kids Classes, Amphitheater Programs, Storybook Times or family festivals.
- Stop in the Fuqua Conservatory Lobby to see the amphibian displays. How many frogs can you find? How do they look different?
- Find conservatory critters in the Fuqua Conservatory. Can you find trilling poison dart frogs near the small ponds or the wood turtles near the front of the conservatory? Watch your step because quail are often found throughout the Tropical Rotunda on the forest floor.
- Explore the diversity of orchids in the Fuqua Orchid Center. Which ones smell good or bad? How do they all look different?
- Look through the window of the Tissue Culture Lab to see rare and endangered baby plants growing in goo. Sometimes a scientist can be seen at work making new tissue cultures.
- Walk through the treetops on the 600 ft long Kendeda Canopy Walk and get an aerial view of Storza Woods, one the few remaining mature hardwood forests in the City of Atlanta.
- Find their favorite fruit and vegetables growing in the Edible Garden. Don’t forget to smell the herbs on the Herb Wall!
- Stop and smell the roses in the colorful Rose Garden. Which one is the favorite?
Taking a Break
- Enjoy cool, quiet time in the Sheffield Botanical Library’s children’s section with garden-themed storybooks and fun puppets.
Lou Glenn Children’s Garden
- Watch the bees buzz and how honey is made in the observation hive.
- Kids can test their balance crossing the bouncy bridge or swaying on the rope bridge.
- Show off your creativity and paint with water at the slate wall.
- Expect to spend about one hour in the Children’s Garden.
- Measure up in the new and improved Growth Chart
- Cool off during the warmer months in the Splash pad