High School Internship Program
The Atlanta Botanical Garden is looking for enthusiastic and tenacious high school interns, 16 and older, interested in science and botany related careers. Students will work alongside expert Garden staff to cultivate, conserve, and teach others about our plant collections in the heart of Atlanta while gaining invaluable college and career readiness skills from community leaders. Internship experiences vary, but may include:
- Working in a Plant Conservation Lab.
- Cultivating rare plants in the Conservation Greenhouse and Orchid Center.
- Maintaining the outdoor gardens or the living sculptures of Imaginary Worlds.
Internship Program Schedule: Wednesdays to Fridays, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., June 5 - July 19, 2019.
- Upon acceptance, interns and parents/guardians attend an orientation session in April.
- Interns commit to a regular schedule of 21 hours per week, Wednesday-Friday, for seven weeks.
- MARTA cards OR parking passes are provided to interns depending on their mode of transportation.
- Snacks and lunch are provided to interns.
- Interns are paid an hourly wage $8/hr, paid in biweekly installments.
- Garden shirts and gardening supplies are provided to interns during their internship.
- Students will keep a journal documenting their experience.
- Students will develop and attend a teen event in the Garden in October 2019.
Final Project: A final project session will be held at the Garden on Friday, July 19, 2019. All interns are required to present. The project will reflect the work the intern accomplished over the seven-week internship program.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of conditions, including extreme heat and inclement weather.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs and carry out demanding tasks; including but not limited to, long periods of standing, walking, and crouching, repeated movements, extensive work with hands, and working around various wildlife and insects.
- Students must be 16 years or older by June 5, 2019 and a rising sophomore, junior, or senior in a metro- area Title I school.
- Passing all classes.
- Each student must complete an internship application and have two online teacher recommendations submitted before March 1, 2019.
- Willingness to follow policies and procedures of the Atlanta Botanical Garden.
- Ability to receive and interpret instruction.
In order to be accepted potential interns must:
- Complete and submit the High School Internship Program Application by March 1, 2019.
- Have two teachers complete the Online Teacher Recommendation Form no later than March 1, 2019.
- Due to the number of applications, not all applicants will be contacted.
- Interns are typically selected 1-4 weeks after the application deadline.
If you are interested in the High School Internship Program, consider joining our team for Teen Volunteer Day at the Garden on February 19, 2019 to see if this opportunity is a good fit for you.
For questions regarding internships, please email email@example.com