POSITION TITLE: Conservatory Horticulturist (Full-time)
REPORTS TO: Fuqua Conservatory Manager
REVISION DATE: 10/09/19
The Conservatory Horticulturist is an important member of the Horticulture & Collections Department which is responsible for all garden wide collections and displays. However, responsibilities are generally but not exclusively within the Conservatory section of this department.
The staff member works closely with the Fuqua Conservatory Manager and other members of the Conservatory team on the daily maintenance of the Fuqua Conservatory and its collections.
Predominantly, responsibilities will focus on maintaining the Tropical Conservatory, its collections and displays to the highest horticultural standards. However, work may take place in other areas that come under the responsibility of the Conservatory Manager and his team including but not limited to the Desert House; Orangery; Front Lobby; Conservation & Skyline Garden and Greenhouse. In addition, there may be opportunities to assist with various other programs & departments.
The Dorothy Fuqua Conservatory is a unique facility. It is not only home to an impressive collection of rare, endangered and useful plants from all over the world but also a sizable population of tropical frogs; geckos; turtles and other rainforest animal species. The Conservatory is central to the botanical garden and plays an important role in the garden’s educational and recreational activities, especially the night events when the frogs are at their best. It is often referred to as Atlanta’s little rainforest.
This is predominantly a hands-on position requiring lifting; planting; watering; pruning; plant propagation and other horticultural activities. An understanding of organic horticulture and biocontrol is an advantage.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform the maintenance and development of the Fuqua Conservatory, its collection and displays.
- Carry out the daily maintenance (watering, pruning, fertilization, spraying etc.) of the plant collection in the Fuqua Conservatory and related collection in the backup greenhouse.
- Develop knowledge of various key plant groups that are essential to the displays in the Fuqua Conservatory.
- Support the planting, mapping, labeling and accessioning of the plant collections.
- Assist visitors.
- Assist with the development of plant interpretation information, panels etc.
- Work on rotating weekends.
- Work on the installation and takedown of rotating displays.
- Ability to work on ladders and at heights.
- Assist with the maintenance of the Conservation Garden.
- Help manage a small but dedicated group of volunteers.
- Horticulture -Traditional training in horticulture (4-year degree a minimum).
- Botanical Horticulture - At least 3 years working within a Botanical Garden with grounding in botanical garden practices etc. Greenhouse / Conservatory work an advantage.
- Collections Management – understanding of plant collection management procedures including database records; labeling and mapping.
- Plant health – sound knowledge in the identification and management of plant health issues including management of pests; diseases and plant nutrition
- Plant knowledge – a reasonable knowledge of tropical plants and their ecologies and places of origin.
- Plant propagation – basic knowledge of plant propagation.
- Integrated pest management - a basic understanding of the use of biological control and organic methods of pest control.
- Must be able to stand, stoop, bend, twist frequently and for extended periods of time.
- Lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to tolerate sustained repetitive activity is essential.
- While this is primarily an indoor position, the conservatory environments mimic the indigenous plant environment and can be hot, dry, wet, cool depending on the objective of the designated area.
- The use of ladders is frequently required.
- Must be able to work in hot and sometimes difficult conditions and will also be expected to frequently work weekends
- Ability to obtain or already have GA Pesticide Applicators Licence
Excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to effectively respond to multiple, changing and often conflicting priorities is essential. Must be able to effectively & professionally interact with the general public and co-workers and peer professionals.
Please e-mail resume to Careers at email@example.com, along with the title of the position you are applying for.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.
Employment policies and decisions on employment and promotion are based on merit, qualifications, performance, and business needs. The decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees are made in a nondiscriminatory manner, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state, or local statutes.