POSITION TITLE: Exhibitions Technician
REPORTS TO: Exhibitions Manager
LOCATION: Atlanta, GA.
REVISION DATE: 11/18/19
Under the general direction of the Exhibits Manager, plays a key role in facilitating and maintaining all special exhibits. Proactively assist the Exhibitions Manager with all seasonal and special exhibits, including the handling of fine art and being a good steward of multi-million dollar budgets on some shows.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist in installation, maintenance, and de-installation of all Garden special exhibitions (Garden Lights, Orchid Daze, Summer exhibitions, Scarecrows in the Garden and others).
• Oversees upkeep of exhibits, including coordinating with exhibition staff on daily, short, and long term requirements to maintain exhibitions in good functioning order.
• Performs regular inspection of exhibits to identify deficiencies and needs, and coordinates with staff to initiate corrective actions.
• Coordinates fabrication and production needs with in-house staff or contractors.
• Assist in the procurement of materials to be used in exhibitions and installations such as: wall texts, fabric, paint, samples, estimations, ordering materials.
• Assists in transportation of exhibition materials to/from off-site storage.
• Preparing product and inventory for installation and de-installation of Garden Lights exhibit.
• Assists in long term care and maintenance of off-site warehouse and its contents.
• Leads installation team of seasonal staff during installation and de-installation of Garden Lights exhibit.
• Serves as on-duty technician, as-needed, during Garden Lights and Summer exhibitions.
• Understands and troubleshoots issues related to lighting products used for Garden Lights exhibit
• Participates in the fabrication and installation of exhibits (including packing and unpacking; exhibition graphics, signage, and labels; lighting; display fixtures and mounts) ensuring the highest quality within available resources.
• Oversees the maintenance and repair of tools and equipment; estimates costs, purchases materials, equipment and supplies.
• Ensures adherence to safe workplace practices and procedures in the handling of art and in all preparation work and workshop spaces.
• Responds to technical inquiries on exhibits, artifacts, and displays.
• May supervise the work of temporary staff.
STATUS AND SCOPE:
Exhibitions are a critical part of the Gardens revenue generation process. ABG has developed a strong reputation for putting on high-quality exhibitions. The expectations of our members and the public garden community is for top-notch shows. Proactively assist the Exhibitions Manager with all seasonal and special exhibits, including the handling of fine art and being a good steward of multi-million dollar budgets on some shows.
• Bachelor’s degree or corresponding combination of experience and education required.
• 1 to 2 years of relevant work experience required.
• Must be able to work weekends, evenings and holidays as exhibit requires.
• Strong written and oral communication skills and attention to detail are essential to success in this position.
• At least an intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel is required.
• Driver’s license with clean Motor Vehicle Record.
• Basic carpentry skills and general electrical knowledge preferred.
• Intermittent standing and walking with periods of sitting in meetings, at desk or working at computer depending on the tasks at hand.
• Exposure to all types of weather is necessary during installations and shows.
• Position routinely requires visual and aural acuity, manual dexterity. Ability to climb ladders, kneel, crouch and reach with hands and arms in any direction.
• Ability to move heavy objects, use basic tools and operate equipment such as scissor and boom lifts.
Excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to effectively respond to multiple, changing and often conflicting priorities is essential. Must be able to effectively interact with the general public and co-workers.
Please e-mail resume to Careers at firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the title of the position you are applying for.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.