Gainesville Horticulture Summer Intern
The Atlanta Botanical Garden-Gainesville offers a horticultural internship to one qualified student each summer. The student will gain practical experience in horticulture at one of the top botanical gardens in the United States. Please apply between February 3, 2020 and March 15, 2020.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Horticulture team will set up an intern rotation through different areas of the outdoor gardens and the greenhouse/nursery complex. Student will rotate throughout the gardens and greenhouse/nursery to gain practical, hands-on horticultural experience including:
- Maintenance of trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals;
- Pest and disease identification;
- Greenhouse production;
- Plant identification and accessioning.
- Participation in any staff field trips that occur during the internship period.
- Open to students actively seeking or recently (within 1 year) graduated with an A.S. or B.S. degree in horticulture, landscape architecture, botany or related .
- Highly organized with the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with a high attention to detail
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to sustain moderate physical exertion with full range of body motion for lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to operate hand and power garden equipment
- Ability to apply herbicides with supervision
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
COMPENSATION AND WORK SCHEDULE:
- PLEASE NOTE: THIS INTERNSHIP IS IN GAINESVILLE, GA
- 12 week internship, 40 hours per week (8:00am-4:30pm), some week-end work
- Salary: $10.00/hour, course credit may be arranged. Student must provide own housing.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter describing past work experience and career goals to: email@example.com. No phone calls please. Relocation is not available.
The Atlanta Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. The Garden does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.