POSITION TITLE: Horticulturist II
REPORTS TO: Orchid Center Manager
REVISION DATE: 12/01/2018
To support the mission and vision of the Fuqua Orchid Center through horticultural practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsibilities include watering, weeding, fertilizing, soil making, repotting, pruning, propagating and pest control in seasonal displays and permanent plantings.
- Collaborates with an interdepartmental team to develop seasonal displays in the Fuqua Orchid Center and Conservatory Lobby.
- Works with the FOC Manager in the design and renovation of permanent plantings. Installs designs as required.
Assists with the development, maintenance and inventory of permanent collections. Works with other horticulturists on the orchid center team performing tasks to support the mission and vision of the Garden. Maintains clean and organized work areas to ensure safety and proficiency in the work place. Provides horticultural expertise including interaction with visitors. Weekend duty rotation is required.
STATUS AND SCOPE:
A high level of horticultural expertise in the propagation and care of orchid collections is required. It is critical this position applies their education and experience in the conservation of rare and endangered species included in the Garden's collections.
- B.S. in Horticultural Science or a related field with 2-4 years of experience growing plants in a greenhouse setting.
- Enthusiasm for all aspects of growing and displaying plants, especially orchids. A professional commitment to excellence in horticulture.
- Willingness to master a range of IPM techniques including application of conventional pesticides.
- Previous knowledge and experience with orchids is preferred. Keen observation and problem solving skills.
Position requires prolonged standing, bending, squatting and the ability to sustain moderate physical exertion with a full-range of body motion. Must be able to lift 35# frequently.
Excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to effectively respond to multiple, changing and often conflicting priorities is essential. Must be able to effectively interact with the general public and co-workers and peer professionals.
Please e-mail resume to Careers at email@example.com, along with the title of the position you are applying for.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.