POSITION TITLE: Interpretive Specialist
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Programs
LOCATION: Atlanta, GA.
REVISION DATE: 05/20/19
Under the direction of the Vice President of Programs, the Interpretation Specialist works with the Education Department to develop dynamic garden-wide written interpretation and interpretive programs. The Interpretation Specialist is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing outstanding interpretation signage, audio tours, visitor programs and website content consistent with the Garden’s mission and brand. This is a newly expanded position that requires creativity, flexibility and strong desire to communicate with others.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Coordinate all aspects of interpretive project development, including conception, researching, writing, collecting images or recordings, and guiding approval, production, and installation
- Work cross-departmentally to develop specialized content and programs for the website, special events clients, and visitor services.
- Inventory, review, maintain and update existing signage and other interpretive content.
- Work with other Garden staff to creatively direct design, editing, and production of interpretive programs and products, and manage the process to ensure timely deliveries.
- Collect front-end, formative, and summative evaluation of projects, as needed.
- Perform any other departmental duties as directed by supervisor, including long-term scheduling and budgeting work.
- Bachelor’s degree or above preferred in exhibition development, education, museum studies, interpretation, or similar field.
- Knowledge of horticulture, botany, natural history, or environmental science preferred.
- Three or more years’ experience in interpretive planning and implementation and/or exhibition planning and implementation.
- Excellent writing and communication skills; good research abilities.
- Ability to develop effective relationships with staff.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Competency with Microsoft Office Applications; some knowledge of graphic and video media production processes.
- Ability to lift and carry 20 pounds for the purposes of sign placement, installation, removal, exhibit repair, etc.
Frequently required to stand, sit, walk and reach with hands and arms, and hear and speak. Must be able to lift 20lbs. Must be able to safely climb a ladder. Requires long periods of computer and phone use.
Excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to effectively respond to multiple priorities is essential. Must be able to effectively interact with the general public, co-workers, and peer professionals.
Please e-mail resume to Careers at email@example.com, along with the title of the position you are applying for.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.