POSITION TITLE: Orchid Specialist
REPORTS TO: Fuqua Orchid Center Manager
REVISION DATE: 09/11/2018
To support the mission and vision of the Atlanta Botanical Garden through horticultural practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works as part of a team committed to achieving and maintaining excellence in horticulture at the Fuqua Orchid Center (FOC).
- This is a hands-on position requiring attention to detail. Responsibilities include watering, fertilizing, soil making, repotting, pruning, deadheading, grooming, pest control of potted orchid collections, seedling production areas, permanent plantings and seasonal displays in the Fuqua Orchid Center.
- Works with the FOC Manager in the design of permanent plantings. Installs and renovates permanent plantings.
- Assists with the development of the orchid collection and with maintaining accurate and up-to-date plant records.
- Collaborates with an interdepartmental team to develop seasonal displays in the Fuqua Orchid Center.
- Works with staff, supervises volunteers and student interns. Interacts with visitors to provide horticultural expertise.
- Maintains clean and organized greenhouse areas. Adheres to virus control protocols.
- Periodic weekend and holiday duty is required.
STATUS AND SCOPE:
ABG has one of the largest collections of species orchids in the U.S. and specializes in Euglossine bee pollinated orchids, Paphiopedilum, Phalaenopsis and high elevation orchids. The 16,000 sq. ft Fuqua Orchid Center includes a Tropical High Elevation House for display of orchids from tropical montane regions, an Orchid Display House for warm and intermediate growing orchids, a seasonal display area and back up greenhouses.
- B.S. in Horticulture or a related field with 4 years of professional experience growing orchids in a commercial, botanic garden or university greenhouse is required. Other combinations of training and/or experience which can be demonstrated to result in the possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the essential duties and functions of this position, may be considered.
- Broad knowledge of tropical plant material especially tropical orchids. Strong background in botany and plant nomenclature.
- Attention to detail and excellent record keeping skills; ability to maintain and update a plant records database.
- Enthusiasm and aptitude for all aspects of growing, displaying and learning about plants, especially orchid species. Possesses a high degree of energy and initiative.
- Keen observational and problem solving skills.
- Willingness to apply a range of IPM techniques including application of conventional pesticides.
Excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to effectively respond to multiple, changing and often conflicting priorities is essential. Must be able to effectively interact with the general public and co-workers and peer professionals.
Position requires prolonged standing, bending, squatting and the ability to sustain moderate physical exertion with a full-range of body motion. Must be able to lift up to 45 pounds frequently. Must be able to work in a glass house in the summer months with high heat and humidity.
Please e-mail resume to Careers at email@example.com, along with the title of the position you are applying for.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.