Raiford Horticulture Intern
POSITION TITLE: Raiford Horticulture Intern
REPORTS TO: Horticulture Managers
LOCATION: Atlanta, Ga.
The Atlanta Botanical Garden offers a Raiford horticultural internship to one qualified student each summer. The student will gain practical experience in horticulture at one of the top botanical gardens in the United States. Please apply between January 24, 2020 and February 28, 2020.
The Horticulture Managers will set up intern rotation through indoor and outdoor gardens, under the supervision of managers of the designated areas. Student will rotate throughout the Garden and Conservatory on a regular basis to gain horticultural experience including: maintenance of trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals; propagation; greenhouse production; tropical and desert plant culture; plant identification and accessioning. During the last week of employment, the intern is required to give a presentation about each area they have rotated through, things learned, plants of interest, and touch on each special topic assigned to each horticulturist to cover.
- Open to students actively seeking or recently (within 1 year) graduated with an A.S. or B.S. degree in horticulture, landscape architecture or botany or related field.
- Highly organized with the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with a high attention to detail
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to sustain moderate physical exertion with full range of body motion for lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to operate hand and power garden equipment
- Ability to apply herbicides with supervision
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Salary: $10.00/hour, course credit may be arranged. Student must provide own housing.
Please submit resume and cover letter describing past work experience and career goals to: email@example.com. No phone calls please. Relocation is not available.
The Atlanta Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. The Garden does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.