POSITION TITLE: Raiford Intern
WORK SCHEDULE: 12 week period, 40 hour work week (7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.)
REPORTS TO: Manager of Display Gardens/Senior Horticulturist
REVISION DATE: 02/01/2019
The Atlanta Botanical Garden offers horticultural internships to qualified students each summer. Students gain practical experience in horticulture at one of the top botanical gardens in the United States. Please apply between February 4 and March 4, 2019.
The Manager of Display Gardens will set up intern rotation through indoor and outdoor gardens, under the supervision of managers of the designated areas. The student will rotate throughout the Garden and Conservatory on a regular basis to gain horticultural experience including: maintenance of trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals; propagation; greenhouse production; tropical and desert plant culture; plant identification and accessioning. During the last week of employment, the intern is required to give a presentation about each area they have rotated through, things learned, plants of interest, and touch on each special topic assigned to each horticulturist to cover.
- Open to students actively seeking or recently (within 1 year) graduated with an A.S. or B.S. degree in horticulture, landscape architecture or botany or related.
- Highly organized with the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with high attention to detail.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- High-level critical thinking, analytic and proactive problem-solving skills.
- Salary: $10.00/hour, course credit may be arranged. Student must provide own housing.
Please submit a resume and cover letter describing past work experience and career goals to: email@example.com. No phone calls please. Relocation is not available.
Please e-mail resume to Careers at firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the title of the position you are applying for.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.