Sr. Building Engineer
POSITION TITLE: Sr. Building Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Facilities Manager
REPORTS TO: Facilities Operations Manager (FOM)
REVISION DATE: 01/04/2019
The Sr. Building Engineer for ABG ensures that all ABG facilities - with primary focus on the Conservatory, Greenhouse and Orchid Center facilities and related systems - function in a highly efficient and effective manner in order to provide long term stability, sustainability and support for the living collections, mission and vision of the Atlanta Botanical Garden in Midtown Atlanta and Smithgall Woodland Gardens in Gainesville, Georgia.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- At the direction of Facilities Operations Manager (FOM) as well as Conservatory and Orchid Center Managers, maintaining, monitoring, and performing preventive maintenance and continuous operation of all building systems including: fire/life safety, mechanical (HVAC, plumbing, controls) electrical (lighting, UPS, PDU, RPP, generators, primary switchgear), emergency backup systems, hot water systems; monitors building operation, adjusts, and maintains refrigeration, chilled water and air conditioning equipment, ventilating, hot water heaters, pumps, valves, piping and filters; other various mechanical and electrical equipment; record readings and make adjustments where necessary to ensure proper operation of equipment. Requires the ability to analyze the operation of various systems, determine the cause of any problems/malfunctions and take corrective action as required.
- Install and repair plumbing/piping/tubing; wire single and three phase motors (single & VFD); run conduit; pull wiring to machinery, motors, operating parts, etc.; install and rebuild pumps and motors; install and rebuild air compressors; heat exchangers; replace bearings in all types of motors; replace seals on pumps; install and repair piping, valves, filters, hot water systems and associated controls; assist other mechanics and operators with major repairs and maintenance of building and equipment. Install, repair, and maintain electrical controls, switching and motor controls. Operate and maintain critical equipment including UPS systems, generators, chillers and critical air conditioning units.
- Monitor operation, repair, and maintain refrigeration, water cooling and air conditioning equipment; heating, ventilating and hot water equipment; pumps, valves, piping and filters; other mechanical and electrical equipment; recording readings as necessary to assure proper operation of equipment; responsible for reporting any problems/malfunctions
- Comply with departmental policy for the safe storage, usage, and disposal of hazardous materials. Maintains a clean and safe workplace.
- Responsible for keeping records of buildings rounds and readings, preventive maintenance, all engineering logs and engineering data sheets.
- Respond to work orders and informal requests in a timely and efficient manner and in a fashion which reduces recurring problems and stress.
- Regularly inspect all areas of building and grounds and report deficiencies as well as offer suggestions for improved operations and efficiency. Performs preventive maintenance per manufacturer’s recommendations or per ABG protocols.
- Prepares recommendations for budgeting as requested. Works to stay within budgeted parameters when making purchases and decisions for maintaining and repairing ABG facilities.
- Researches, prepares and presents information and options to FOM to support non-budgeted expenditures.
- Stays informed about latest technology and trends in greenhouse systems and operation as well as other relevant building and grounds technical developments of benefit to the ABG.
- Attends approved training for the development of professional and technical skills.
- Organizes manufacturer provided technical and user information as well as updates user manuals specific to the Fuqua Conservatories.
- Collaborates with FOM, and Fuqua Conservatories management for repairs and upgrades, to schedule work to be performed and initiate planning based on budgeted items and garden-wide needs
- Regularly communicate with the Facilities Operations Manager, and managers of Conservatory and Orchid Center on the status and activity of the mechanical operations.
- Monitor contractors, inspect work and generate punch lists.
- Consults, assists and trains facilities staff when working on Fuqua Conservatories and other technical issues throughout the Garden.
- Participate in a 24/7 on call schedule. Weekend and evening work may be required to support ABG needs, including Conservatory needs.
- Provide support for Garden events as needed.
STATUS AND SCOPE:
Lead, consult with and train co-workers with regards to all facilities work to be performed in Conservatory and Orchid Center and other areas of the Garden. Coordinate regularly with vendors and contractors. Interact and collaborate regularly with all levels of management and staff and interact with members of the public.
Associates degree, recognized certifications required or equivalent experience. Minimum of five years as a lead building engineer or equivalent field experience including extensive knowledge of commercial property mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, various HVAC systems, and pneumatic, DDC and building automation systems. Thorough understanding of glass structures and systems is desirable. Knowledge of Q-Comm is a plus. Excellent customer service, interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills are also essential to be successful in this position.
Excellent organizational and time management skills are required. An ability to effectively respond to multiple, changing and often competing priorities is essential. Ability to work effectively as part of a team and individually is necessary. An ability to provide creative and innovative solutions is vital.
Ability to work indoors and outdoors in various climates and weather conditions is required. Prolonged standing, walking, stooping and crawling into small spaces are a regular part of the job. Must be able to climb ladders and work at heights of 10 feet and above for prolonged periods. Must be willing, able and knowledgeable in using ropes and harnesses for climbing and working at heights. Manual dexterity, visual acuity and effective hand-to-eye coordination are required. The ability to lift 50+ pounds as a regular part of the job is required.
Please e-mail resume to Careers at firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the title of the position you are applying for.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.