Sr. Facility Maintenance Technician
POSITION TITLE: Sr. Facility Maintenance Technician
DEPARTMENT: Facilities Management
REPORTS TO: Facilities Operations Manager (FOM)
REVISION DATE: 11/30/2018
The Sr. Facilities Technician for ABG ensures that all ABG facilities with primary focus on the Conservatory, Greenhouse and Orchid Center facilities and related systems function in a highly efficient and effective manner in order to provide long-term stability, sustainability and support for the living collections, mission and vision of the Atlanta Botanical Garden in Midtown Atlanta and Smithgall Woodland Gardens in Gainesville, Georgia.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operate building equipment and systems according to established procedures or as directed by the Conservatory and Orchid Center management.
- Optimize the repair and operation of HVAC, electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems.
- Respond to work orders and informal requests in a timely and efficient manner and in a fashion which reduces recurring problems and stress.
- Regularly inspect all areas of building and grounds and report deficiencies as well as offer suggestions for improved operations and efficiency. Performs preventive maintenance per manufacturer’s recommendations or per ABG protocols.
- Prepares recommendations for budgeting as requested. Works to stay within budgeted parameters when making purchases and decisions for maintaining and repairing ABG facilities.
- Researches, prepares and presents information and options to FOM to support non-budgeted expenditures.
- Purchase, install, fabricate, construct, troubleshoot and repair complex mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of equipment being serviced and employ service procedures and techniques indicative of high quality work.
- Stays informed about latest technology and trends in greenhouse systems and operation as well as other relevant building and grounds technical developments of benefit to the ABG.
- Attends approved training for development of professional and technical skills.
- Organizes manufacturer provided technical and user information as well as updates user manuals specific to the Fuqua Conservatories.
- Collaborates with FOM, and Fuqua Conservatories management for repairs and upgrades, to schedule work to be performed and initiate planning based on budgeted items and garden-wide needs
- Regularly communicate with the Facilities Operations Manager, and managers of Conservatory and Orchid Center on the status and activity of the mechanical operations.
- Monitor contractors, inspect work and generate punch lists.
- Consults, assists and trains facilities staff when working on Fuqua Conservatories and other technical issues throughout the Garden.
- Participate in a 24/7 on call schedule. Weekend and evening work may be required to support ABG needs, including Conservatory needs.
- Maintain, Troubleshoot and repair the Q-Com energy management system for the Conservatory, Orchid Center and Smithgall Woodland Gardens.
- Comply with safety and environmental procedures, specifically lockout-tag out program, as well as MSDS procedures.
- Responsible for safe and productive work performed in fabrication and repair shop. Consults and trains others regarding equipment, safety, and activities in the fabrication and repair shop.
- Provide support for Garden events when needed.
STATUS AND SCOPE:
Lead, consult with and train co-workers with regards to all facilities work to be performed in Conservatory and Orchid Center and other areas of the Garden. Coordinate regularly with vendors and contractors. Interact and collaborate regularly with all levels of management and staff and interact with members of the public.
Associates degree, recognized certifications required or equivalent experience. Minimum of five years as a building engineer or equivalent field experience including extensive knowledge of commercial property mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, various HVAC systems, and pneumatic, DDC and building automation systems. Thorough understanding of glass structures and systems is desirable. Knowledge of Q-Comm is a plus. Excellent customer service, interpersonal skill, written and verbal communication skills are also essential to be success in this position.
Ability to work indoors and outdoors in various climates and weather conditions is required. Prolonged standing, walking, stooping and crawling into small spaces are a regular part of the job. Must be able to climb ladders and work at heights of 10 feet and above for prolonged periods. Must be willing, able and knowledgeable in using ropes and harnesses for climbing and working at heights. Manual dexterity, visual acuity and effective hand-to-eye coordination are required. The ability to lift 50+ pounds as a regular part of the job is required.
Excellent organizational and time management skills are required. An ability to effectively respond to multiple, changing and often competing priorities is essential. Ability to work effectively as part of a team and individually is necessary. An ability to provide creative and innovative solutions is vital.
Please e-mail resume to Careers at email@example.com, along with the title of the position you are applying for.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.