POSITION TITLE: Staff Accountant
REPORTS TO: Accounting Manager
LOCATION: Atlanta, GA.
REVISION DATE: 04/01/19
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, this position is responsible for recording expenses and liabilities from accounts payable and sales taxes and processing payroll for the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Daily processing of approved invoices and recording them in Accounts Payable using Financial Edge.
- As appropriate, entering Fixed Asset acquisition invoices for payment thru Financial Edge Fixed Assets.
- Ensure all invoices are properly approved, coded and entered correctly in Financial Edge.
- Processing weekly check runs with appropriate documentation – separating signature batches.
- Monthly corporate credit card audit and follow up.
- Process payroll on a bi-weekly basis; verifying uploads from Longleaf & manual checks to integration accuracy.
- Daily (with 2nd Accounting Department personnel) clear Cash Machine Drop Vault & Rejects and verify and make bank deposit coordinating with Security and Accounting.
- Daily data entry to record reconciled cash receipts and revenue batches.
- During Garden Lights, assist Accountant with daily Special Events and Bars reconciliation of drink tickets.
- Assist with month end reporting and tasks as necessary.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations for all balance sheet accounts assigned to this position.
- Prepare monthly sales & use tax reporting calculations and reconcile to Financial Edge reports.
- Ensure proper expense recording with Garden policy with assistance from Accounting Manager.
- Create daily, weekly and monthly journal entries to properly reflect assigned accounts.
- Assist the Accounting Manager with the annual independent audit.
- Serve as an accounting system (Financial Edge) expert.
- Assist with the daily clearing of bank statement items for reconciling the operating bank account.
- Serve as liaison between Accounting and all other departments in regards to related issues.
- Ad-hoc and other reporting activities as they arise, not limited to items above.
STATUS AND SCOPE:
The Staff Accountant role requires frequent interaction with Garden personnel at all levels including educating and clarifying important Garden policies and procedures relating to the accounting function. This position will be exposed to confidential information and is responsible for maintaining that confidentiality. To maintain the Garden’s reputation and success, 100% accuracy is critical as well as the ability to articulate operational results, and complex ideas in simple/clear language and presentations.
Accounting Principles: Strong knowledge and the ability to apply U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as they relate to non-profit organizations as instructed by the Accounting Manager.
Transaction Knowledge: Ability to understand complex business transactions (e.g., accruals, prepaid expenses, accounts payable, accounts receivable etc.) and their corresponding accounting treatment.
Attention to Detail: Ability to accomplish tasks in a timely and accurate manner as well as completing a detailed review of the output of team members.
Financial Analysis: Ability to prepare, analyze and report financial data creating thoughtful and efficient spreadsheets/reporting tools, explaining variances, identifying issues and making recommendations as appropriate.
Control Environment: Ability to assess current controls to ensure that assets are safeguarded and that transactions are authorized, recorded, and reported.
Develops and Inspires Others: Create a positive team atmosphere that builds and maintains relationships across the Garden. Motivate, guide, and/or support the performance of others toward goal accomplishments. Develops self and others to improve performance in the current role and to prepare for future roles; seeks and provides feedback and coaching to enhance performance.
Communicating Effectively: Conveying information and ideas in a clear, respectful, and timely manner; providing information to ensure understanding; solicits input from the audience during the communication.
Reconciliation: Ability to compare data from various data sources and identify inconsistencies or variances, and correct errors.
Customer Focus: Making customers (external and internal) and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships; creating and executing plans and solutions in collaboration with the customer.
Contributing to Team Success: Actively participating as a committed member of a team and working with other team members to help complete goals and deliverables.
- 4-year accounting degree preferred but not required.
- 2+ years of progressive responsibility in an accounting function.
- Power user of Microsoft Excel.
- Demonstrated aptitude in learning and maneuvering accounting systems.
- Understanding of GAAP and practical application of the principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with Blackbaud a plus (Financial Edge).
Position requires long periods of sitting, occasional walking and standing. Work requires heavy computer use. Lifting of heavy change containers may be necessary.
Accuracy in all aspects of work is critical for this position. Attention to detail while doing somewhat repetitive work is required.
Please e-mail resume to Careers at email@example.com, along with the title of the position you are applying for.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.