School Programs Instructor
POSITION TITLE: School Programs Instructor
LOCATION: Atlanta, GA.
REPORTS TO: Assistant Manager, School Programs
REVISION DATE: 11/20/19
The School Programs Instructor assists with educational programming including Title I Outreach and Garden Experience during the spring. It is a part-time position based on program demand. The schedule includes various shifts throughout the week during school hours. The Garden’s Outreach program is available to any Title I school within 20 miles of the Garden. The School Programs Instructor visits registered schools and conducts presentations in the classroom. The Garden Experience program is an onsite opportunity for Title I schools to participate in a 30-minute presentations before exploring the Garden. The School Programs Instructor greets and orient schools and leads up to 4 presentations per day in Garden classroom space.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Facilitate hands-on lessons and activities for K-12 students at Title 1 schools and at the Atlanta Botanical Garden related to carnivorous plants, amphibians, life cycles, habitats and fresh garden edibles.
• Travel to Metro Atlanta schools with supplies to deliver presentations to students in classrooms.
• Greet schools visiting the Garden and orient the group to the Garden’s various areas and policies.
• Coordinate with ABG staff on borrowing live specimens and harvesting fresh produce to bring to schools
• Prepare supplies for outreach and onsite programming.
• Other tasks as needed to support education department objectives.
• Candidates must have experience in working with students in grades K-12.
• A Bachelor’s degree is required. Preference will be given to candidates with a degree in Education, Environmental Education, Biology or related field.
• Experience working with at-risk children and outreach programs a plus.
• The ideal candidate will have an enthusiasm for the outdoors and fresh/local produce and excellent organizational skills.
• Candidate must have a valid driver’s license and be able to lift 20 lbs.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Frequently required to stand, sit, walk and reach with hands and arms, and hear and speak. Must be able to lift 20lbs. Must be able to safely climb a ladder. Requires long periods of computer and phone use.
Excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to effectively respond to multiple priorities is essential. Must be able to effectively interact with the general public, co-workers, and peer professionals.
Email Resume to Careers at firstname.lastname@example.org
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.