Summer High School Internship
The Atlanta Botanical Garden is looking for enthusiastic and tenacious high school students, 16 years and older, interested in science and plant careers. Students will work alongside expert Garden staff to cultivate, conserve, and teach others about our plant collections in the heart of Atlanta while gaining invaluable college and career readiness skills from community leaders. Internship experiences vary, but may include, working in a plant conservation research lab, cultivating rare plants in the conservation greenhouse and orchid center, or maintaining the outdoor gardens.
Dates: June 1 - July 15, 2022, Wednesdays - Fridays, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
For questions regarding the internship program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Application, the recommendation form, and additional information can be found below.
- Selected applicants and guardians will attend a virtual orientation session on Zoom scheduled prior to the start of the Internship
- Students commit to a regular schedule of 21 hours per week, Wednesdays through Fridays, For seven weeks.
- MARTA cards or parking passes are provided to interns depending on their mode of transportation.
- Snacks and lunch are provided to interns.
- Students are paid an hourly wage $10/hr, paid in bi-weekly installments.
- Garden shirts and supplies are provided to interns during their internship
- Students will keep a journal documenting their experience.
- Students will be responsible for a personal project where they will create a presentation spotlighting their favorite plant.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Able to work outdoors in a variety of conditions, and inclement weather.
- Able to lift 40 lbs and carry out physically demanding tasks.
- Must be 16 years or older by June 1, 2022 and a rising sophomore, junior, or senior in a metro-Atlanta Title I school
- Must submit a completed internship application no later than Sunday, March 27, 2022
- Must have a non-relative adult (e.g. teacher, mentor, boss) submit a recommendation form on applicant’s behalf no later than Sunday, March 27, 2022
- Willing to follow policies and procedures of the Atlanta Botanical Garden.
- Able to receive and interpret instruction.
- Must provide proof of vaccination and booster status for COVID-19
COVID-19 Precautions: We are dedicated to the health and safety of our students and staff and will follow CDC recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Final decisions regarding our health and safety policies will be provided to applicants upon their acceptance into the program.